As we enjoin you to commemorate the World Health Week, It will be necessary we take a review on The Health Status of Nigeria.
Previously, the Government has formulated and brought out National Health Policy, 2017, which aims at attainment of the highest possible level of good health and well-being, through a preventive and promotive health care orientation in all developmental policies, and universal access to good quality health care services.
Currently, with the anomaly being melted everyday in the health sector, one can be poised to ask if the Government really love the people they are ruling or they are just there for their selfish Interest. It is so contemptible that N315.62 billion was allotted to the Ministry of Health out of the N8.83 trillion budget submitted in 2019.
The Health Sectors are in their part aren’t helping matters as they consistently fight among themselves when the common enemies are left out. We are meant to be a health advocate, activist of health, care give not otherwise. We are suppose to voice out on the implementation of the already existing Policy, we should have done more on lobbying and networking on formulation, enacting and implementation of policies that favors the health care system which will be to maximize the quality of health care available, to minimize total national expenditures on health care, and to achieve equitable distribution of the benefits of quality health care and of the burden of costs
The Masses nowadays at the mercy of the quacks and uninformed who have little or no medical background. It is a common trend that non medical practitioners in the body of NAPPMED are given a License to open an over-the-counter-drug than a Medical student, Nurse who have just graduated from school and want to keep the status quo as a means of livelihood pending when he/she gets a better offer. The Just graduated Nurses and Doctors are by far more knowledgeable than them. The Senior Doctors, Nurses and Pharmacist in the Legislative and Executive arms have never deemed it necessary to raise such an issue for the benefits of the masses and for their junior colleagues.
There is no other time than now, emergency should be declared on the health sector expedite action taken in the revamping the health system of our great nation.
- The legislative, executive and judiciary should assist the public towards enacting and implementation of policies that favors the healthcare system which will be to maximize the quality of health care available, as well as bringing perpetrators to book.
- There should be an upgrade in the amount allotted to the Health sector in subsequent budget.
- The health professionals are to come together and speak with one voice to as to salvage our health system from the hand of quackeries.
- There should be a thorough revamping of the Primary Health care centers across the nation and the just graduated Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacies etc should be deployed to those places for their NYSC, Internship etc
- More Primary health care facilities should be open in the most remote areas across the country just like the way polling unit exist so as to make health affordable, accessible and efficient
- The policy reinforcing the Nigeria Association of Patent Proprietary Medicine dealers (NAPPMED) should be reviewed without delay.
- There shall be a regular, timely and consistent education and sensitization to the general public through the use of social media, broadcast, posters and bill boards etc
- The health sector should solidly collaborate with the agricultural sector, Educational sector and a host of others sectors to have an effective result.