CARDIO-PULMONARY RESSUSCITATION (CPR)
Is a life saving procedure for a victim of cardiac arrest. There are three signs of to detect a cardiac arrest viz: the victim will be unresponsive, will have no pulse and is not breathing.
Despite the advanced moves by the America to prevent Cardiac Arrest (C.A), It still remain a leading cause of death across the world, 70% of which occurs in the home .About half of this situation are not witnessed. Components of CPR are chest compression, airways and breath, when it is done effectively, it will increase the victim chances of survival. It is so demanding and requires early recognition and prompt intervention. In not more than 10 seconds, heart compression should be commence for 30 times followed by two rescued breathing
POINTS TO NOTE DURING:
- Start a high quality CPR within 10 seconds of recognition of cardiac arrest.
- Push fast so as to give a compression of 100 till 120 per minutes depending on the victim’s age.
- Push Hard to at least 5cm for children and adult or 1/3 of the chest or 4cm for an infant.
- The compression should be done just above the xiphoid process of the sternum.
- There should be complete chest recoil after each compression.
- Interruptions should be minimized.
- Give effective breaths that make the chest rise.
- Avoid excessive Ventilation.
- Nose mask, pocket mask or other barrier protective equipment when giving rescue breathing to outsider.
STEPS FOR GIVING A HIGH QUALITY CPR.
- Immediately you recognize a victim of C.A, lying lifeless.
- Verify if the surrounding is safe for you and your victim.
- Tap at the shoulder to ascertain if he is ok by shouting ,Hey! Are you ok?.
- Call for help immediately.
- Check for breathing and pulse at the carotid artery.
- Activate the emergency response system or ask someone to do that for you.
- Begin a 30 chest compressions after which you give two breath .
- Change over after 5 sequence of compressions or when you are tired and you have someone who can assist you.
- Continue till an ambulance or other Emergency medical services arrives.
If a proper health awareness is given to all sun and sundries, we will be to able to minimize if not eradicate this monstrous threat bedeviling our society. I therefore call on the president of each country ,the governors, the health sector, the Nongovernmental organizations and other noble organizations to embark o this clarion call.